Thursday, 13 June 2013

Tea Cosy Pattern

In a blog post a few weeks ago, I included a photo with a tea cosy in it which I made last year. I had a few really nice comments about it and so thought I would include the pattern here, in case anyone would like to knit their own...

To make the tea cosy I adapted a couple of patterns I had to get the effect I wanted and to fit the teapot I have. Apologies if this post is overly long, I have never written a pattern out for anyone but myself before!

Tea Cosy Pattern ( Fits a standard 4 cup teapot)

Materials

Approx 100g Aran weight yarn (I used Sirdar Supersoft Aran)

6mm & 3mm knitting needles

Oddments of DK weight yarn for flowers

Abbreviations

K - knit M1 - make one (instructions here) Psso - pass slipped stitch over

K2tog - knit 2 stitches together

Directions for main part of tea cosy (make 2 pieces the same)

Use the yarn doubled throughout ( to make the tea cosy nice and thick, and well, cosy!). Knit in garter stitch throughout.

* Using 6mm needles and Aran weight yarn (doubled), cast on 24 stitches.

* Rows 1-4 - garter stitch

* Row 5 - K1, M1, knit to last stitch, M1, K1 (26 stitches)

* Row 6 - garter stitch

* Row 7 - K1, M1, knit to last stitch, M1, K1 (28 stitches)

* Row 8 - garter stitch

* Row 9 - K1, M1, knit to last stitch, M1, K1 (30 stitches)

* Row 10 - garter stitch

* Rows 11-22 - knit in garter stitch without shaping

* Row 23 - K1, slip 1, K1, Psso, knit to last 3 stitches, K2tog, K1 (28 stitches)

* Row 24 - garter stitch

* Row 25 - K1, slip 1, K1, Psso, knit to last 3 stitches, K2 tog, K1 (26 stitches)

* Row 26 - garter stitch

* Row 27-36 - knit in garter stitch without shaping

* Row 37 - K2tog x 3, knit to last 6 stitches, K2tog x 3 (20 stitches)

* Row 38 - garter stitch

* Row 39 - K2 tog x 3, knit to last 6 stitches, K2 tog x 3 (14 stitches)

* Knit 3 rows in garter stitch without shaping

* Cast off remaining 14 stitches

Flowers (I made twelve)

* Using 3mm needles and DK yarn, cast on 60 stitches

* Row 1 - garter stitch to end

* Row 2 - K1, cast off 8, repeat to end until there are 12 stitches left on the needle

* Break off the yarn leaving a long tail, thread through the 12 stitches and pull up tightly, then secure and

stitch in place to make a flower.

Making Up/ Finishing

Block the 2 pieces of the tea cosy and spray the flowers with some spray starch and leave to dry.

Using mattress stitch, sew the 2 top pieces together along each cast off edge.

Sew the sides of the cosy, leaving a space of approximately 11cm open for the handle and 8cm open for the spout.

Pin the flowers to the top of the cosy and sew securely in place.

 

I hope the pattern is okay, I have checked it a few times but if anyone does decide to knit one and finds a problem with it just let me know, and I will amend it! Happy knitting...

X

 

 

 

26 comments:

  1. It's sooo sweet! Thanks for sharing the pattern :-)
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. W beautiful tea cosy, I love the flowers. thank you for sharing the pattern.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely teacosy. Another to add to my long list though I still haven't made the Nikki Trench one yet and I have all the yarn for it! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty I wish my crocheting was up to it :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty cosy and the colours of the flowers are just gorgeous - how good of you to share your pattern, thank you!
    Joy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the tea cosy. I'm not hugely confident with knitting but I've just read through and I think I could do that. Your way of explaining really worked for me. I shall add it to my list of projects Thank you for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its very pretty and I love how it is mainly garter stitch too ~ Thanks so much for sharing :O)x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've crocheted the Nikki Trench tea cosy for my grandma, and I love your knitted one! Is it very different from crocheting? I've only done basic knitting, like a scarf, but I wonder if I could manage a pretty home accessory like this. Thanks for the pattern!
    cx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your pattern - it's lovely! Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so cute...now if only I knew how to "knit"! Shari ")

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, you've done it again, brilliant! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty!! I love it. Would you be so kind to maybe link up this pattern to my link party?
    Thanks in advance and have a great day!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi there! id love to try this, but im still a beginner, do you think its too hard for a novice??x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done you for writing out your first pattern, it looks very well written. The tea cosy is so gorgeous, I might have to give this a try one day when I get my head around knitting!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so pretty. It makes me wish I knew how to knit!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful project, fun colors and pattern.

    Regards diane

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing your pattern with us. It's such a sweet tea cosy. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super cute tea cosy, thanks for sharing the pattern.x
    Clare x
    http://summerhousebythesea.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is a very sweet cozy, thank you so much for sharing it with all of us.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely cosy, will add it to my never ending project list! I love all your crochet in the previous posts too - I so can't seem to master it! Thank you for your comments on my blog, I know I will be back for more crafty inspiration xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Okay ~ this is just way too cute!
    Love your blog :)))
    xoxo
    Danette

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love, love, love it. Makes a simple cup of tea into an occasion.

    S xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm not a knitter but that is still a cute tea cosy :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can't knit - but it looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just found your blog and loving it. Maybe we can follow each other on GFC or bloglovin? Please feel free to stop by my blog and let me know. XO

    http://mevamarie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love this tea cosy i'm not a great knitter but found this easy to do very happy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and if you feel like leaving a comment that would be lovely...xxx